The Eastern Ontario Model Forest, in partnership with the Ottawa section of the Canadian Institute of Forestry, has developed a great program for our December Forest Lecture. We have used the term “an end of year celebration of our forests”. In addition, the program includes a full meal which provides plenty of opportunities for a good social.
This year’s seminar will focus on telling the full story of how building with wood is the most sustainable option from the time the tree is planted in the forest to when the final product is used for the build.
We will hear how a forest can be managed for multiple forest values such as recreation, wildlife, and clean water, all while providing a continuous supply of wood to feed the local mill.
We will also hear how building codes are changing to allow for taller wood structures, and how new technology can produce stronger wood products with less to meet these demands. This will be a great opportunity for those who wish to understand why building with wood is a good choice, from both an ecological and engineering perspective.
Feature Presentations include (click here for Poster):
- Traditional Opening and Closing – Lorraine Rekmans, FSC Board Member
- Harvesting wood sustainably: Good for the Environment and Climate Change – Martin Streit, RPF, Forester, South Nation Conservation Authority
- The Future of Building – Wood and the Carbon Neutral Pathway – David Moses, PhD, PEng, PE, LEED®AP, Founder of Moses Structural Engineers
- A Local to Global Perspective: Linking Sustainable Forest Management to Green Buildings – Invited: Kathy Abusow, President and CEO, Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- Benefits of Building with Wood – Alex Nott, M.Eng. P.Eng. Mass Timber Engineer, Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Prefabrication in Timber Construction – Mohammad Mohammad, P.Eng, PhD, Senior Research Advisor, Natural Resources Canada
- A National Mass Timber Research Network: Connecting the Dots – Dr. Anne Koven, Executive Director, Mass Timber Institute
- Moderated Q&A Session and Re-cap of the Day – Astrid Nielsen, RPF, General Manager, Eastern Ontario Model Forest
Registration in advance will be required by December 6, 2019. The registration fee is $50 and includes morning refreshments and a warm, festive lunch. You can register online and pay by Visa, MasterCard or PayPal at the EOMF website or by calling 613-713-1525.
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2019.
Location: North Grenville Municipal Complex, 285 County Rd. 44, Kemptville, ON .
Time: 08:30 am to 1:30 pm.
Oak Sponsor – the EOMF and its partners would like to thank ON Wood WORKS!/Canadian Wood Council for being a sponsor of the 27th December EOMF/CIF Forest Seminar.
For additional sponsorship opportunities contact Astrid Nielsen at email@example.com or 613-258-6587. Additional sponsorship information
A few words about the Eastern Ontario Model Forest. We receive no government funding. With a small, dedicated staff and a number of volunteers, we (almost) make financial ends meet by putting on our annual events (December Forest Seminar, Kemptville Woodlot Conference, Spring gathering and AGM), and managing the Certification Program and the Forest Health Network. Your participation in the EOMF events and programs is greatly appreciated. Thank you for both choosing to be at this Forest Seminar, and for being in a “conservation partnership” with us.